The vast industrial complex in which the State Archives are located originally housed the Papeteries Générales Belges – Éd. Haseldonckx & Cie stationers. Construction, which dates from 1912, was overseen by the architect F. Bodson and coincided with the emergence of stationers whose business involved the large-scale distribution of paper and the manufacture of envelopes. The success of the business necessitated an increase in the size of the basic premises via the addition of annexes at the rear in 1920, 1929, 1938 and 1940, under the coordination of Joseph Diongre. In 1959, bays were added at the front of the building according to plans by the architect L. Mercenier. AlthoughPapeteries Générales Belges moved from the premises in 1972, it is still in business under the Antalis name and celebrated its one hundred year anniversary in 2012! Open to the public since 2011, the warehouse can accommodate up to 49 km of files laid out in a line. It houses numerous contemporary public and private archive collection

Sourced through Scoop.it from: visitbrussels.be

See on Scoop.itDiscover Brussels – Brussel ontdekken – Découvrez Bruxelles

Advertenties